Grand Valley State University August 2011 - April 2014
Bachelor of Science of Information Systems
Delta College September 2009 - May 2011
Associate in Applied Arts, Electronic Media Broadcasting
Front-end Developer & Accessibility Specialist, University of Michigan Library
June 2017 - Present
Provide leadership for creating and maintaining high-quality, usable, efficient user interfaces. Set front-end development standards, as well as developing tools and workflows to maintain those standards. Ensure web services meet or exceed the accessibility requirements of our users.
- The lead front-end developer for a strategic project to replace several of our legacy systems with one search tool (search.lib.umich.edu).
- Co-chair of the library-wide digital accessibility team. Serving as a site for expertise on digital accessibility standards (WCAG, 508, ATAG, ARIA, EPUB) and accessible design best practices.
Interface Developer, University of Michigan Library
September 2015 - May 2017
- Created a proof of concept web application so that the library could quickly test an idea and move forward with our strategic single search project (github.com/mlibrary/search-alpha).
- Led the front-end web development to redesign MGet It, a link resolver that improves the pathway to electronic resources (mgetit.lib.umich.edu).
Web Developer, Skokie Public Library
August 2014 - August 2015
Built user-centered websites and services that supported the library’s mission and community’s needs. Implemented design and development processes from user research to deployment.
- In under four months of my start date, designed and developed a modern and responsive redesigned website to better serve the Skokie community (skokielibrary.info).
- Created a list-building application for staff to guide and suggest to patrons curated titles based on their interests (skokielibrary.info/lists).
- Taught bi-weekly introductory, hands-on web development and Python courses to the Skokie community.
Adjunct Web Developer, Grand Valley State University Libraries
November 2012 - August 2014
Developed and maintained websites and technologies that supported students and faculty in their research. Combined technical ability with empathy in helping students and faculty. Collaborated with colleagues throughout the library to customize and enhance functionality of library systems and websites. Assisted with monthly usability testing to identify opportunities for functionality improvements.
- Developed Library Status, a quick and easy open-source status monitor for all library systems (gvsu.edu/library/status).
- Created digital signage so users can have quick access to wayfinding, computer availability, and information about study room reservations.
- Designed, developed, and user tested a room reservation web application that is used throughout campus as the University’s primary room reservation system.